Monday, 22 December 2014

A visit to Music Island: Vaughan Williams and Soundsmith Kamachi

It’s been a while since I last visited the Music Island at Virtlantis. As they say, it never rains but it pours. Last night Duncan and I went to check out one of Aelthing Aeon’s “Let’s talk classical music” events there, which take place every 3rd Saturday. Aelthing is a guest lecturer with the National Federation of Recorded Music Societies (UK) and he brings a lot of background to the featured pieces. This time we had a guided listening of Vaughan Williams’ piece Hodie dating from the early 1950s.


I must admit I’m not exactly a fan of Williams, but that’s why I wanted to attend this event. Where and when else was I going to listen to Hodie? In all honesty, somewhere towards the middle I found myself on Marketplace shopping for a Hummer, with Williams’ music in the background. But it was nice to be there and exchange comments with Duncan, while sipping tea in RL.


Not having much to do, we decided to stay for the second event as well,  Soundsmith Kamachi’s concert. Seeing him for the first time, as he went up on the stage, I was wondering - now what kind of music is he going to play?


But actually, I found his works very interesting. Again, not the kind of music I would normally listen to, but it was good to be exposed to it. Soundsmith played his own electronica pieces, some of which were quite meditative and relaxing, inspired by Buddhist chants and with names such as “Faith”, while others were more energetic and flamboyant.


You can hear some of his works here.

As the winter break is approaching, I’m hoping to be able to attend more of such inworld events.

P.S. The Hummer turned out to be a good purchase, too.